Wednesday, October 17, 2007

DR Horton Employee Kicks Homeowner While He's Down!

This complaint was sent to DR Horton's San Antonio Texas Warranty Department via email on October 17th.

I am requesting that you pass this up the chain of command or DR Horton, to whoever takes formal complaints regarding employees. I would also like to know what DR Horton's policy is regarding employees reporting CC&R violations"? I'd guess they would be to advise the homeowner, but to remain neutral. Especially when the "violation" is the result of the subject homeowner's home not being complete, after almost a year.

This is regarding Tyler Larson/Larsen(?), construction supervisor, who is not representing DR Horton well at all. Although I'm frustrated beyond belief... still, unfortunately, Tyler is not only working against the process of progress, he is apparently acting out of "vengeance" or something. Especially since I've never met the man. I realize our incomplete house may not reflect well on his management skills. But that is something he did on his own before we closed on our house on Nov. 1, 2006 (yes that's almost a year).

So I posted a sign (attached) approximately last Saturday, on my property. As you can see in the photo, it is not that noticeable--not that that has any bearing, as I'm going to move it to a more noticeable upper window. I told this to Brian P a few minutes ago when he stopped by.

Anyway, yesterday one of my neighbors (who said he's about to put up an even larger sign) said he asked Tyler what he thought about our sign. The neighbor said, that Tyler said "what sign?" The neighbor explained about our 24"x18" sign, and said that Tyler stated: "the homeowners association will make them take it down!" The neighbor then came to our house, around 3PM, and of course told us about Tyler’s bad attitude and poor customer service. As, is Tyler had done a better job the first time our whole situation would never have never come up in the first place.

Low and behold, less than 24 hours later we are personally served with a notice from DCHA, Inc./Pauline Simmons, stating that we have to remove our "protest sign" by 5PM 10/18 or "this matter will be turned over the Association Attorney." Along with other legalese to try and scare us, including a "Temporary Restraining Order."

Based upon talking with several other homeowners within Dove Crossing, it is clear they not only support our displaying this sign, but that I could start supplying them to other disgruntled homeowners if I wanted to. I know that "Spectrum" will not likely tell us who filed the complaint, as their letter states "...we inspect your community to ensure that each owner is complying with these standards." Of course they didn't inspect anything yet, but are acting upon Tyler's complaint. If necessary, and IF this ever goes to civil court all HOA/Dove Crossing Homeowner's Association, Inc. records will be subpoenaed--as part of the Discovery process--and the complainant will be revealed. I'm also willing to bet that an attorney will be willing to take this on pro-bono, and that the Judge will rule based upon what’s right. Especially with so many homeowners negatively affected.

Based upon my Constitutional rights, under the First Amendment ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."), I will not be taking down the sign until all problems with our house are properly fixed. But I will move it, so it can be seen more easily.

Having worked in Planning and Zoning for almost 2 years, after 15 years in law enforcement, followed by 2+ years as a regional manager (10 States) for the largest real estate auction company in the US, I am not intimidated. I am familiar with the civil complaint process.

In fact the sign will grow in size, and I will make available similar signs to any homeowner who wants one at my cost. I'm guessing that the problems with our home aside, that soon this will become a media issue (beyond my web blog).

It is sad that a DR Horton employee would stoop so low as to do something like this. Even more troubling is that, knowing his poor management skills at least partially resulted in our house being in it's present state, he would feel that the answer to the situation is that we take down our sign. When he should have joined the DR Horton "warranty department," jumping in to assist them now that the ball has slowly started to roll towards the very small light at the end of the tunnel. It is no wonder that there are so many construction related issues with so many homeowners, at least in Dove Crossing. In fact of all the homeowners we've talked to (and that list is growing due to our sign), everyone has problems and nobody is satisfied. Hmmm, that's a 100% percent disapproval rating in my unofficial pole. When I start going door to door with fliers, NOT JUST in Dove Crossing, but also in other higher end subdivisions, I expect I'll find more who will join our blog and cause.

Since I'm waiting for my electric wheelchair, and can't go door-to-door until I get it, DHR Horton has a short reprieve before I can start that. I've been forced to hold on picketing the model homes/sales offices in my area for the same reason. But I expect the wheelchair within a week. At that point I'll be rolling.
--ks

Please see the almost 100 photos of some of the problems we have, or have had.

No comments: